Reprinted by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © Sarah Kieffer, 2016.
I’m very excited to share with all of you here at Handmade Charlotte that I have recently released a cookbook! It’s The Vanilla Bean Baking Book (published by Avery Books/Penguin Canada). It contains over 100 baking recipes, as well as photographs for each recipe, and how-to photographs for some of the different techniques featured. You can find the book on Amazon and other major retailers, and, you can enter to win a copy of the book! Simply enter the Rafflecopter giveaway at the bottom of this post.
I also have an almost no-bake cheesecake for you from The Vanilla Bean Baking Book. The crust is baked until golden, the cheesecake filling is chilled inside, and then all is topped with chocolate ganache. It’s rich but light, easy to make, and a great addition to your holiday table.
(Almost) No-Bake Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache
I’ve found this cheesecake to be a great substitute for the real deal. It is creamy and delicious, perfect for hot summer days. You need to bake it only a few minutes to ensure a crisp crust and the smooth filling easily sets in the refrigerator. The berry swirls add a bit of fruity tartness to the cheesecake that I find delicious, but you could leave it out and top it instead with Chocolate Ganache. makes one 9-inch cheesecake
- 2 cups (200 g) graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 5 tablespoons (72 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 pounds (904 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup (149 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup jam of your choice
For the crust:
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Put the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk. Pour the melted butter over the top and stir with a spatula until combined. Press the mixture into a 9-inch springform pan and bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the cheesecake:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the cream cheese on high until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar, vanilla, and salt and beat on medium until light and smooth, about 3 minutes. Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a large bowl and set aside. Clean the mixing bowl if you have only one.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the cream (in the clean bowl) on low for 30 to 45 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and continue beating 30 to 45 seconds. Increase the speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks form, 30 to 60 seconds.
- With a rubber spatula, stir about one-third of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and fold until completely combined. Add the remaining whipped cream and fold until combined and no streaks remain.
- Scrape the filling over the cooled crust and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake until firm, about 4 hours or up to 1 day. A few hours before serving, top with Chocolate Ganache (see below). Let the ganache set, then slice.
- 6 ounces (170 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Place the chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until it is simmering and just about to boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the plastic and whisk until completely smooth. Add the vanilla and salt and whisk to combine. Cool to room temperature before using.
Win A Copy of The Vanilla Bean Baking Book!
To enter the giveaway, simply use the Rafflecopter widget below to pin the cookbook on Pinterest. Good luck!