Looking for a simple sewing craft to do with kids this summer? These felt kitten clutches are purrrfect! Turn leftover felt scraps, spare buttons, and pom poms into a fun afternoon activity. Mix and match supplies to make a collection of rainbow cats!
We’ve included a printable template to make these kitten clutches as simple as possible. Wouldn’t these kittens be a great activity for a birthday party? Have kids assemble their own kitten clutches, and then fill with treats and give out as their party favors!
What You Need
- Printable cat template (download here)
- Felt (various colors)
- Needles and thread
- Pom poms
- Yarn or string
- White glue
- Pins (optional)
- Print and cut out the template and cut the front and back out of different colored felt.
- Lay the front on top of the back (and pin together). Use scissors to trim the front ears to expose the edge of the back as shown.
- Thread the needles and do a blanket stitch (this video is very helpful to see it in action!) around the edge of the kitten face, stopping and starting before the ears. You could do a simple running stitch instead for younger sewers – just go in from the back, up to the front, then back through to the back, and keep repeating.
- Using the template as a reference, sew the button nose onto the front layer of the kitten’s face, tying a knot to secure on the inside of the clutch.
- Cut a small snip in the felt flap so that the button fits in, as shown.
- Again using the template as a reference, sew the two button eyes onto the front felt only, tying the knot inside the clutch. Use glue to stick small pom poms onto the buttons.
- Cut yarn or string into short pieces and glue onto the kitten’s cheeks as whiskers.
- Do the same for the kitten’s mouth. Let the glue dry completely and then fill your kitten clutch with treasures!