What is more fun than a treat that looks like one thing, but is actually something else altogether? These cupcakes look just like cool, creamy ice cream sundaes but are actually cupcakes topped with strawberry mousse, homemade magic shell topping, sprinkles, whipped cream, and of course, a maraschino cherry (my favorite part!) You can use any kind of cupcake you like for these treats. I decided to make a banana cupcake and these tasted exactly like a banana split!
These cupcakes look fancy, but are really pretty easy to assemble. And instead of having a mound of sugary, buttery frosting on top, these cupcakes stay hot-weather friendly with a lighter, cool mousse topping for a more refreshing take on cupcakes. Not a strawberry fan? No problem. This mousse can be used with any type of berry puree you like. I’m thinking I’ll try raspberry next time!
What You Need
Makes 35 cupcakes
- 15 of your favorite White or Yellow Cupcakes (baked and cooled)
- 1 Recipe Strawberry Mousse
- 1 Recipe Chocolate Topping
- 1 Cup Sweetened Whipped Cream (whipped to stiff peaks)
- 15 Maraschino Cherries, drained on a paper towel
Using a spring loaded Scoop, place a scoop of strawberry mousse on top of each cupcake. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 15 minutes.
Pour a small amount of chocolate topping over the mousse on each cupcake, allowing the topping to drip down the cupcake a bit.
Toss a pinch of sprinkles over the chocolate topping quickly, before it hardens.
Fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with the sweetened whipped cream. Pipe a small swirl of whipped cream over the top of each cupcake.
Top each whipped cream swirl with a maraschino cherry. Store in the fridge until service. Best eaten the same day they are made.
Strawberry Mousse Recipe
- ½ Cup Strawberry Puree
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 ½ teaspoons Powdered Gelatin
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Sugar
- Add the water and 2 tablespoons of the strawberry puree to a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let sit for 5 minutes. Heat the pan over medium/high, stirring until the gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat and whisk into the remaining strawberry puree.
- Beat the cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Fold the strawberry puree into the whipped cream and chill for 1 hour. Use to top cupcakes.
Chocolate Topping Recipe
What You Need
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small, microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals until the chocolate chips are melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a airtight container to store, or a squeeze bottle to decorate cupcakes.