Fall is quickly approaching and we’re not sure about you, but we’re ready to celebrate! These mini pumpkins are pretty excited too – they even dressed up for the occasion! A couple of years ago we shared some really fun painted party pumpkins and those are what inspired these little guys.
We love how cheerful and cute they are! Since foam pumpkins are so lightweight, they make the perfect garland. But you can always leave them loose if you prefer and arrange them all over your house this fall! Keep reading for the full instructions below.
what you need:
- Folk Art Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint
- Mini foam pumpkins
- Googley eyes
- Mini pom poms
- Colored paper
- Black permanent marker
- Hot glue gun
- Begin by painting your mini pumpkin in various shades – we went with these bright, warm colors for a modern fall look. Depending on the color of the pumpkins and the shade of paint, it can help to prime the pumpkin with a coat of white paint prior to applying paler shades like yellow. Let dry completely.
- While the paint dries, select a few pieces of colored paper that go along with the paint colors. To make the mini party hats, cut out a semi-circle and roll it into a cone. Trim the semi-circle until you’re happy with the size and shape of the cone compared to the pumpkins. Use this semi-circle as a template and trace onto the other papers so that you’ll have enough hats for all the pumpkins. Cut out and assemble using a hot glue gun.
- Use hot glue to attach the party hats onto the pumpkins, covering up the stems. Then select mini pom poms that look good with both the pumpkin and hat color, gluing those on top with the hot glue gun too.
- Hot glue two googley eyes onto each pumpkin and draw on a little mouth with a black permanent marker.
- Finally, arrange the pumpkins into a row – we tried to set it up so that no two same-colored pumpkins were beside each other. Cut a piece of string and glue it to the back of each of the party hats, leaving 2 to 3 inches between each pumpkin. You can also choose to make a few mini garlands like we did. Your garland is now ready to hang!